BIND serving ppp connections

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Mar 29 23:28:52 UTC 2005

> Hello!
>
> I was trying to set up bind to serve ppp clients. The problem
> is that when it starts up, there are no ppp connections and
> it doesn't start listening on the ppp server address.
>
> Is there a way to tweak bind to listen on a wildcard address
> or on a non-existent address?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew P.

	The real question is why are you bothering to attempt to
	listen on the ppp address.  Just have named listen on a
	stable interface and advertise its address to the ppp
	clients.

	If you really want named to start listening on the interface
	you can lower the interface scanning interval and/or have the
	ppp daemon notify named that it has a new interface.  rndc
	reload / rndc reconfig.

	It wouldn't be that hard to add "rndc rescan" to just rescan
	the interface table.

	Note: you need to be running as root unless you are using a Linux
	box w/ capability support.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC