easy to understand definitions

Paul Fournier august70 at thefourniers.net
Sat Mar 26 19:23:33 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org] On Behalf
Of Barry Margolin
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:35 PM
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Subject: Re: easy to understand definitions

In article <d1s41h$1985$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Bob Lockie <bjlockie at lockie.ca>
wrote:

> I don't understand "expire" and "refresh", it would seem that "expire"
> should always be equal to the "refresh" time"?

That would effectively negate the value of having slave servers.  The point
of multiple servers is fault-tolerance.  You want the slaves to continue
serving the zone when the master has failed, don't you?  If you set Expire
== Refresh, then when the slave checks whether a zone transfer is needed,
and doesn't get an answer from the master, it will stop answering for the
zone, and you'll have *no* servers responding.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA