correct syntax for /29 reverse zone?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 25 02:21:04 UTC 2005

In article <d1vlss$8vi$1 at sf1.isc.org>, <aklist_bind at enigmedia.com>
wrote:

> Hi All: One more question. If I have a /29 delegated to me, what is the
> correct syntax for the reverse zone name and config?
>
> is it:
>
> [ipend - ipstart].[xxx].[xxx].[xxx].in-addr.arpa?

The name is arbitrary, although there are some popular naming
conventions, such as start/29.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa or
start-end.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.

The important thing is that the name on your server matches the name
that your ISP used when they delegated it.  If you tell us what your
real IP block is, we can tell you what they used.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA