Bind Virtual Hosting

Walter Balzer w_balzer at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 23 18:44:32 UTC 2005

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<d1qbuv$1mkq$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> Walter Balzer wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >i have a Webserver within multiplie Virtual-Host-Sections in the
> >httpd.conf.
> >
> >I am planning to run multiplie Subdomains as different Virtual Hosts:
> >

> >demo.homepage.de
> >walter.homepage.de
> >xyz.homepage.de
> >
> >The Configurationpart of the Webserver seems not to be the problem but
> >what is the best Bindconfig for that solution?:
> >

> >a) with ORIGIN
> >==============
> >
> >$ORIGIN homepage.de
> >
> >demo         IN CNAME www
> >walter       IN CNAME www
> >xyz          IN CNAME www
> >

> >b) without ORIGIN
> >=================
> >demo.homepage.de         IN CNAME www
> >walter.homepage.de       IN CNAME www
> >xyz.homepage.de          IN CNAME www
> >
> >c) with IN A
> >============
> >demo         IN 192.168.10.1
> >walter       IN 192.168.10.1
> >xyz          IN 192.168.10.1
> >
> >d) with IN A an $ORIGIN
> >=======================
> >demo.homepage.de         IN 192.168.10.1
> >walter.homepage.de       IN 192.168.10.1
> >xyz.homepage.de          IN 192.168.10.1
> >
> >What is the best solution for the Subdomain-Virtual-Hosting?
> >
> Whether you use $ORIGIN or not is really your own decision, based on
> whether you think it makes things more, or less readable, how
> knowledgeable the admins are who are going to maintaining this zone
> file, etc. In our case, we use Dynamic Update for all zone-data
> maintenance, so named writes out the zone file itself and $ORIGIN is not
> an option for us. Fortunately, we have utilities that can display the
> contents of zones in various user-friendly formats, so it's not really
> necessary for anyone to actually read the raw zone file.
>
> As for the difference between using multiple A records, or using 1 A
> record and CNAMEs, that too is largely a matter of taste. Some people
> don't like CNAMEs at all and try to avoid them. But, if you use multiple
> A records, then what do you do about reverse records? Do you just pick
> one of those names arbitrarily and have the PTR record point to it? That
> means you have an asymmetry (A records defined without corresponding PTR
> records). And it doesn't really work, and scales badly, to have multiple
> PTR records for a given address. For this and other reasons, we prefer
> to (with certain, relatively-obscure exceptions) have only 1 A record
> pointing to any given address, and all other names which must resolve to
> that address be CNAMEs to that name.
>

>                                                 - Kevin

Hello Kevin,

thanks a lot for that great explaination! I thought it was so like you
descriped - now i know it! -> I looked in the Sun-Solaris
Documentation but there was only examples of unique IN A -Redords
(means one IP to one Adress) and everywhere in the internet the same
thing ...

Actually i have an PTR for every hostentry domain/subdomain:

001     IN PTR  walter.homepage.de .
001     IN PTR  demo.homepage.de .
001     IN PTR  xyz.homepage.de .

-> After your answer:

demo         IN A 192.168.10.1
walter       IN CNAME demo
xyz          IN CNAME demo

(reverse)

001     IN PTR  demo.homepage.de.

-> This solution reduces the administrative work for administring an
BIND!

(Sorry my english is not the best :)

ThanX

Walter