"localhost" zone: what should we do?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 15 22:31:34 UTC 2005

IMO, "best practice" is to get ftp_connect to use a proper,
fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) instead of something as inherently
ambiguous as "localhost". Unless, of course, it really *needs* to use
the loopback address for whatever it is doing (which seems unlikely), in
which I'd let the server use its /etc/hosts file to resolve the name
"localhost" to 127.0.0.1. No reason to pollute DNS with such junk.

                                    - Kevin