Problems with bind9 caching too long

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 15 22:18:55 UTC 2005

I have no direct knowledge of what the RFCs imply or say outright, or
whether BIND9 complies, but I agree with Phil that there is a need for
the DNS to "discover" updated chains of delegation without regard to
anything servers no longer authoritative in that chain have to say.
There are practical situations where the owner of a domain loses their
influence on the configuration of a nameserver previously legitimately
serving his/her domain.  The problems may be ascribed to incompetence,
but the incompetence is not always correctable by those suffering the
consequences.

I think this point is vital enough that a DNS RFC should explicitly
comment on it, whatever is considered to be or is adopted as correct.
I am amazed the issue hasn't caused more trouble already.

Short of a clear RFC statement, it hardly seems to be BIND9's fault,
though it would be great if BIND9 went beyond compliance to help defend
against such situations.  But I'm not sure what form such a defense
would take, with or without an RFC blessing.  In certain situations, a
caching server would have to ignore its NS record, chop the domain down
a level, and do the necessary lookups again.  Surely there is an
interval of time that is not so small as to be burdensome yet not so
large as to leave domain owners at someone's mercy forever.  But what
exactly would trigger this logic, I don't know.

John Wobus