DNS cluster

Rafa rafaor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:28:59 UTC 2005

Hello, all

I'm planning on doing a lab (as soon as I get the hardware) to migrate
our current DNS servers to a clustered platform.

The reason for this is, whenever one of my server fail (not that
often, thank god) my customers notice and complain (even tho the time
it takes to timeout and query the other server shouldn't be that
long).  It's not a load issue since the servers are not even breathing
hard doring peak hours.

What I'm planning to do is to have a stealth master and three or four
slaves that would do a combination of authoritative and caching
functions.  The slaves would be in a cluster running some sort of
heartbeat daemon to take over failed machines.

Currently I'm using Solaris and Freebsd but in the interest of
homogeinity, I would use the same OS on all slaves.

The slaves would be completely independent from each other (no shared
storage, etc) and wouldn't even need to have the same version of bind
(which would greatly simplify upgrades).

Anobody done it like this?  Any issues I should be aware of?  I'd like
to keep it as simple as possible, which is why I haven't planned on
load balancing.