couldn't add command channel ::1#953: address not available

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Mar 14 13:46:32 UTC 2005

    MJ> Ok many thanks for you detailed email. I have included control
    MJ> statement in named.conf and it seems working fine now. I have
    MJ> a last question, I can see the message "[daemon.notice]
    MJ> command channel listening on 127.0.0.1#953", can you just give
    MJ> me some idea why it is listening on port 953 instead of 53.

The protocol used by the name server and rndc for control is not DNS.
It would make no sense to send these control messages to port 53 where
name servers generally expect to get data in the wire format defined in
RFC1035 and its successors. That's why a different socket is used. One
port's for handling DNS requests, the other's for control messages.