couldn't add command channel ::1#953: address not available

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Mar 14 10:49:39 UTC 2005

    MJ> Hi, I have installed BIND 9.2.3 from sunfreeware.com on
    MJ> solaris 8.

Please run up to date software. If you run old code, you could be
running into bugs and problems that have already been fixed in the
latest version. This appears to be what's happened to you here. The
current release is BIND9 is 9.3.1. If you must run 9.2, the current
version is 9.2.5.

    MJ> As per the ARM, I run "rndc-confgen -a" to generate
    MJ> /etc/rndc.key and as per the manual it is not required to
    MJ> insert any thing in /etc/named.conf if you are using
    MJ> rndc-confgen with -a. But now I am getting the following error

    MJ> Mar 14 10:10:03 sune named[501]: [ID 873579 daemon.notice] couldn't add command channel ::1#953: address not available

::1 is the IPv6 loopback address. You've somehow told the name server
to listen on this for command channel messages and IPv6 isn't
available in your OS. Or not configured)  Fix the controls{} statement
in named.conf to explicitly reference the IP address(es) you want the
server to listen on for control messages. ie:

controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { localkey; };
};

BTW, the FAQ has something to say about this:

   Old versions of rndc-confgen used localhost rather than 127.0.0.1
   in /etc/rndc.conf for the default server.  Update /etc/rndc.conf
   if necessary so that the default server listed in /etc/rndc.conf
   matches the addresses used in named.conf.  "localhost" has two
   address (127.0.0.1 and ::1).

Note too that rndc-confgen is a crutch for the clueless. It's no
substitute for taking the time to think about how nameserver control
should be done and configfuring rndc.conf and the controls{} statement
accordingly.