Old DNS server still in records

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Mar 9 22:56:07 UTC 2005

At 2:04 AM +0000 2005-03-09, Aidan wrote:

>  When I do a `dig ns mydomain.com` it returns mostly correct records, but
>  includes a server that no longer exists (lets call it oldns.mydomain.com).
>  At the registrar where 'mydomain.com' is registered, I do not have
>  'oldns.mydomain.com' in the list of registered name servers (the ones that
>  should be there, are).  How do I find out where 'oldns.mydomain.com' is
>  still registered as a nameserver, so I can remove it?

	Check your delegations.  It's probably still registered with the
TLD nameservers.  It may be a case where the machine itself had a
hostname registration and the IP address for that hostname is no
longer valid.  It may be that you've changed your NS records within
your zone, but you haven't gone back to your TLD operator and had
them update their delegations.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755