Internal DNS Inverse Configuration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 4 20:40:27 UTC 2005

The normal problem is that the 10.in-addr.arpa namespace is not defined
at all, and forwarding to the Internet is enabled. So, if someone does a
reverse lookup of a 10.*.*.* address, it gets forwarded out to the
Internet, and since the 10.in-addr.arpa servers on the Internet don't
respond quickly, the queries time out.

By defining 10.in-addr.arpa internally, one is able to prevent those
queries being forwarded to the Internet, and this _usually_ fixes the
timeout problem.

If you have the 10.in-addr.arpa namespace defined, then maybe we're
looking at a different problem than the usual one. Do you have the
10.in-addr.arpa zone *itself* defined, or do you define zones at a lower
level? If you don't have 10.in-addr.arpa itself defined as an
authoritative zone, then any 10.*.*.* reverse queries outside the
subzones you've explicitly defined will still be subject to the
forwarding problem described above. For that matter, if you have
delegated subzones of 10.in-addr.arpa and global forwarding in effect,
then you should define "forwarders { };" to prevent queries in those
subzones being forwarded by nameservers that don't happen to be
authoritative for them.

- Kevin