DNS location information

mathieu.millet at ratp.fr mathieu.millet at ratp.fr
Fri Mar 4 08:16:40 UTC 2005

[Snip]
> >=20
> > My problem is as follows..... how the hell do you extract physical=20
> > location information from an IP address, i know its possible coz my =

> > statcounter on my website does it, not sure how tho!  is there=20
> > location information in the DNS or nameservers which can be =
accessed?=20
> > all i need is country and city/state.
>=20
> There's no reliable mechanism.  There used to be a monthly FAQ in=20
> comp.protocols.tcp-ip about determining geographic location of IPs.  =
I=20
> haven't seen it posted in a while, but it's probably archived at=20
> www.faqs.org.
=20
You may look at the RR-type LOC, that helps locate node places when =
making
traceroute. It is this type of RR that xtraceroute look for plotting =
points
on the 3D earth.

Cf. RFC 1876 : Location Information in the DNS
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc1876.txt

Hope it helps.
Sincerely yours, Mathieu.