Named stops responding after reboot?

aklist_bind at enigmedia.com aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Wed Jun 29 19:53:09 UTC 2005

Hi All: I had a relatively new install of Fedora Core2 with BIND 9.2.3
running for a few months without incident.

I recently had to move the server and powered it off. When I rebooted it,
named did not start automatically.

I'm at a remote location and am able to SSH into the server. I started named
with:

/usr/sbin/named -c /etc/named.conf -u named

and there were no errors in the syslog, just:

Jun 29 11:38:13 default named[2310]: using 1 CPU
Jun 29 11:38:13 default named[2310]: listening on IPv4 interface lo,
127.0.0.1#53
Jun 29 11:38:13 default named[2310]: listening on IPv4 interface eth0,
192.168.1.200#53
Jun 29 11:38:13 default named[2310]: command channel listening on
127.0.0.1#953

which is what I'd expect to see.

If I dig @localhost for a local domain I get the correct response.
If I dig @192.168.1.200 I also get a correct response.
If I dig for a non-local domain I also get a good response.

But if I try to connect from anywhere else, I get:

"failed, couldn't connect to nameserver"

And it's not responding to any queries from any other box, either on the
local subnet or outside. It's also not responding to update requests from a
slave outside the subnet.

Sorry for the lack of detail...let me know if there's any more info I can
provide that will help in diagnosing the problem!

TIA, Andrew