How do cctld's store domains in zone file

Sebastian E. Castro Avila secastro at nic.cl
Wed Jun 29 19:58:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:38:25 -0400, <alireza.damji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello PPL,
> I would like to understand how a second level cctld stores
> domains...example the cctld co.tz.
>
> they will have this in the named.conf:
> zone "co.tz" {type master; file "db.co.tz.txt"; };
>

> so....will the domains such as 'domain.co.tz' be in the "db.co.tz.txt"
> like:
>
> ...SOA records for co.tz here
> domain		IN  NS  ns1.domain.co.tz.
> domain		IN  NS  ns2.domain.co.tz.
>
> domain2		IN  NS  ns1.domain2.co.tz.
> domain2		IN  NS  ns2.domain2.co.tz.
>
> domain3		IN  NS  ns1.domain3.co.tz.
> domain3		IN  NS  ns2.domain3.co.tz.

In your example, the parent zone is delegating a child zone to some
nameservers.

Probably you want to know how a parent serves a child zone, if specifying
every record on the parent zone or creating a new zone file. Well, the
answer is "both" are useful.

So, you could do

parent.tz.zone

; Create delegation
child   IN NS ns1.child.parent.tz.
         IN NS ns2.child.parent.tz.
; Define SOA
         IN SOA <soa_params>
$ORIGIN child.parent.tz.
ns1 IN A 127.0.0.1
ns2 IN A 127.0.0.2

$ORIGIN parent.tz

; Rest of the parent zone goes here.

This case only works if that child has the same nameservers than the
parent (AFAIR, there was a bug in BIND that causes problems with that
situation, may be is solved now).

In my personal opinion, the best way is creating isolated zone for each
domain. Thus, you keep changes small and avoid mistypes in the parent zone.

(We manage a TLD and we do that for any zone, delegated or not).

I hope it helps

(If I made any mistakes, corrections are welcomed).