3rd view or mulithomed or another way?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 29 00:22:21 UTC 2005

Seems to me the only way to meet your requirements, as you have stated
them, i.e. completely different RRsets handed out to different sets of
clients, is to set up a special view (in fact, that's pretty much the
*definition* of a BIND "view"). If you were willing to be a little more
flexible with your requirements (e.g. using a firewall, IDS and/or
routing filter instead of DNS to protect the 3rd subnet from unwanted
traffic), then you could probably get away with using a sortlist instead
of having to define a whole view just for the one machine.

                                                - Kevin

P.S. Surely you meant "change their mail server name" instead of "change
their mail server IPs", since if the clients on the new subnet are using
hard-coded IP addresses for their mail server you can't use DNS to
direct them to a new IP address regardless of how you slice it. By the
way, can't you use some sort of magical whizbang Wintel junk (Group
Policy Objects?) to get all of those clients to use a new mail server,
without having to touch each box individually? I thought Wintel was
getting better in that regard...