cTLD and DNS upgrade

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Jun 28 09:55:06 UTC 2005

CihanS at garanti.com.tr wrote:
| I have seen the following comment in one of the cTLD site...What upgrade
| do this mean? Thanks
|
| "Large ISPs have already started to upgrade their DNS servers, in order
| to allow all their subscribers to access the next-generation Internet.
| In the future, the second-generation Internet will be so pervasive,
| reliable and transparent that it is bound to be taken for granted."

Hi Cihan,

this is about sites like

http://xn--8pru44h.xn--55qx5d/

which do not resolve on the legacy root-servers.

Since china deployed their own root-server net, many ISPs in asia and
europe have choosen to support more than the 260 legacy domains.

http://www.i-dns.net/

has done a lot of research on other than US-ASCII alphabets. They
have been running root-servers successfully for several years now.

http://www.inaic.com/
http://public-root.com/

have brought all known domains under one roof on their Public-Root
servers.

Several companies and especially banks have choosen the Public-Root
because we encourage mirroring our root-servers. All our root-servers
allow AXFR. Our costumers have their own root-servers invisible to
the outside so they cannot be attacked. If the root really comes
down they can run independantly for at least 2 weeks. Time enough
to bring our root-servers up again.

Several ISPs have choosen the Public-Root because of the pressure
from chinese speaking costumers and because they do clone our
Root-Zone to their caching resolvers to prevent them from cache
poisoning (Kashpureffs attack).

That upgrade you mentioned is

http://www.inaic.com/index.php?p=manual-upgrade

for costumers

and

http://www.inaic.com/index.php?p=upgrade-linux-name-servers

for people running their own name-servers

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

- --
Peter and Karin Dambier