MX record on separate DNS server?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 27 23:48:02 UTC 2005

In article <d9pc8h$1on8$1 at sf1.isc.org>, fazla <fazlinovic at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have very specific problem.
> I have a DNS zone hosted on a DNS server and the configuration of that
> server is managed by web hosting control panel which does not allow me
> to add custom A and MX records.
> Is there a way to setup additional DNS server for these zones but only
> to resolve  my custom DNS records and to forward all other queries to
> original DNS servers?

No.  DNS distribution is by zone, i.e. the hierarchy of *names*.
There's no distribution based on record types -- all the records
associated with a particular name come from the same servers.

If your DNS provider doesn't do what you want, get a different one.
There's no reason why you have to have your DNS managed by your web
hosting provider.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA