Changing authoritative nameserver IPs

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jun 25 03:19:16 UTC 2005

In article <d9h0aj$2t4$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 03:26:04PM +0000,
>  Nod <none at nospam.none> wrote
>  a message of 14 lines which said:
>
> > The change has already propogated to the root nameservers,
>
> It is very unlikely that your nameservers are known to the root
> nameservers, unless you manage a TLD (top-level domain). So, I
> seriously doubt that information.
>
> > however, domains registered with some of the other registrars
> > currently are returning the old IP via whois.

You know really means TLD servers.  And for the purpose of answering his
questions, the distinction between root and TLD servers is not very
significant.

So instead of just showing off your superior knowledge of DNS details,
how about answering the gist of his question: if different registrars
have conflicting nameserver IP entries, how is it ensured that the glue
records will be correct?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA