Need iformation about the internals of a cache server

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Jun 24 16:16:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 06:24:25PM +0530,
 Venkata Chalapathi N <chalapat at india.hp.com> wrote
 a message of 32 lines which said:

> Please refer to any document where I can find how exactly the cache
> server works.

tcpdump, ethereal and tethereal are probably better solutions,
especially since some parts of the behaviour are not specified by the
standards.

> 1) How the cache server gets the required data from the root server
> when the client asks the cache server in norecurse and recurse mode?

dig the cache and tcpdump the network and you'll find out.

> 2) Does the root server provides the data by getting the required
> information to the cache server or it will send the information to
> the cache server from where the cache server can get the required
> data?

You do not even need tcpdump. dig will suffice here.