When will a slave get an update from Master?

kirkgbr at yahoo.com kirkgbr at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 21:13:11 UTC 2005

blrmaani wrote:
> Is there a option in slave to control the zone transfer?
>

> Here is my understanding about the zone transfer:
> 1. Slave get zone transfer from master once it notices change (
> increase) in the
> serial number.
> 2. When we force master to do the zone transfer ( using dig utility ),
> all slaves get
> the latest zone information.
> 3. Whenever we update the master using nsupdate, it increases the
> serial number
> at master and triggers zone transfer ( i.e sends notifies to slaves and
> slaves pull
> the latest zone information from master(s) )
>

> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> thanks
> BM

1.)Inside the SOA record of each zone there is a "Refresh" value.  This
value represents the number of seconds the slave waits before "polling"
the master to check if the serial number has incremented.

2.)Dig does not force anything to happen.  It is simply a tool to query
name servers for answers.  It can be used to manually "pull" or
"transfer" a zone from a name server(provided the name server allows
this).

3.)is correct from above.