not typing in www

Robert Cates robert at kormar.net
Thu Jun 23 19:14:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

there seems to be different ways of DNSing your domain name, but I've always
known it to be that 'site.com' has to be entered as an A record to ever/even
exist, and 'www' would be entered as an alias (CNAME) to the A record
'site.com'.  This way the visitor will reach the site simply by giving
http://site.com , and IF there is an alias 'www' they can give
http://www.site.com to reach the site, if not, the site won't be found.
Keep one thing in mind though - probably 99.9% of the Internet users out
there instinctively give/enter 'www' before the domain name when entering in
the URL, so if their request comes back not found...

-Robert