reverse delegation

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Wed Jun 22 05:46:02 UTC 2005

> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:03:14 -0700
> From: Jim Pazarena <bind at ccstores.com>
>
> I have a class-C provided by my telco of which I control the DNS,
> and forward and reverse resolution works fine from the outside
> world.
>    see -> auth.qcislands.net   which maps to 209.53.238.2
>
> A new class-C recently acquired however doesn't seem to resolve
> the IP number from the outside world.
>
>    see -> 2-58-114-64.qcislands.net  which maps to 64.114.58.2
>
> the outside world can't resolve  64.114.58.2

Jim:

It looks like the telco has not yet "delegated" the IP range to you.
Please see THIS URL:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=64.114.58.2

for a more complete reason...

Also, please see this URL for a 'general' report:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=qcislands.net

There is a nameserver "missing" (the SOA record says that
auth.qcislands.net is the master server but that server is not listed
at the parent servers as one of your NS records.

There is also a name server that does not respond:  209.53.238.3

> I copied my DNS setup from one to the other, and it "looks"
> correct. Is there any way to determine if my Telco has not
> completed their side of the DNS which would permit reverse
> mapping?

Your zone is not yet delegated from ns2.fibercloud.com.  (See the
www.dnsstuff.com URL...)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> TIA
> Jim

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin