DHCP + BIND : DDNS problem

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jun 21 22:52:12 UTC 2005

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm totally new at this and I want to master this. But i have a
> problem.
> Running DHCPD and BIND, i can't manage to make dynamic dns work.
>
> I have this setup in my dhcpd.conf (just a excerpt of course ;) :
> ddns-update-style interim;
>

> and in my named.conf :
> zone "lyon.atempo.dk" {
> 	type master;
> 	file "pri/lyon.atempo.dk";
>   	allow-update { 127.0.0.1; }
> }

	What makes you think the update requests are going to 127.0.0.1?
	The requests go the address associated with the MNAME in the SOA
	record.

	lyon.atempo.dk isn't delegated in the Internet.  You need to make
	sure ALL the nameservers listed in resolv.conf can see the SOA
	record for lyon.atempo.dk.

	I would be using "allow-update { localhost; };" or preferably
	a TSIG to secure the update request.  The "localhost" acl has
	all the addresses of the nameserver in it.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org