MX record and PTR questions

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Tue Jun 21 20:03:34 UTC 2005

On Jun 21, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>> Also if my server was called server1 - would the reverse PTR have to
>> read server1.domain.com.au or the name specified in the MX record
>> (in the first case mail.domaim.com.au)
>
> The DNS and BIND do not care. But some servers test that there is a
> consistency between the PTR and the A.

I have found the following link to be useful in how PTR records are
used.  See http://www.dnscentral.com/help/reversednschecking.html.
Take a look.

PTR records may be used by mail servers.  It also seems that SSH may
use this DNS information also.  Reverse DNS isn't required for any
purpose, but may be used.  Consistency of information between forward
and reverse DNS will never cause you problems, but missing or
inconsistent information may cause problems.

Bill Larson