BIND 8.4.6 ioctl Error

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jun 20 02:30:03 UTC 2005

> Hello,
>
> I have built BIND 8.4.6 with Sun's compiler for a Solaris 9 box.  When I
> start
> named, I get a message like this:
>
> named[20981]: [ID 295310 daemon.notice] ioctl(SIOCGLIFCONF): Invalid
> argument
>
> I only got this problem when I tried running this build on servers with 6 or
> more virtual interfaces.  I've searched online and in the archives of
> this list
> but was unable to come up with a solution.  Can anybody offer some
> insight on
> steps I can take to resolve this problem (aside from lowering the number of
> virtual interfaces!)?

	Ignore it.  The buffer is too small.  Named detects EINVAL and
	retries w/ a bigger buffer.

	You could change the offending code in bin/named/ns_main.c to

                if (n == -1 && errno != EINVAL) {
                        ns_notice(ns_log_default, "ioctl(SIOCGLIFCONF): %s",
                                  strerror(errno));
                        goto error;
                } else if (n != -1) {
                        if (lifc.iflc_len + sizeof(lifreq) < size6)
                                break;
                }

	Mark

--