BT reverse ptr records

matt matt at darcy.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 08:46:39 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org] On Behalf
Of Barry Margolin
Sent: 14 June 2005 01:33
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Subject: Re: BT reverse ptr records

In article <d8kfmq$e0p$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "C" <c at co.com> wrote:

> Hi
> hope this is the best group to post this in
>
> i have just moved over our office to BT from easynet
>
> with easynet we had our dns setup so we could run a mail server from the
> office.   the domain had a sub domain 'mail.mydom.com' and easynet setup a

> reverse record for this as well
>
> since moving to BT we have the same setup internally, however BT will not
> change their reverse dns ptr/in-addr records to match our domain and i am

They should probably delegate the reverse DNS for your whole subnet to
your DNS servers.

> worried that this will lead to mail being returned because the reverse
lookup
> does not match the domain it comes from
>
> is this true and if so how can i get round this

Yes, it's true.  I think BT is being ridiculous.  I can't believe that
an enterprise Internet connection would not include reverse DNS
delegation.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

All,

FYI:

I am having this problem with BT as we speak.

I have a mail server called alesi.projecthugo.co.uk set to a BT IP address
range.

When you do a reverse look up on my ip address of 81.138.64.234 you get BT's
reverse PTR

I've checked on RIPE and my IP block is assigned to me, and marked as static
IP address range, however because of this PTR issue it resolves to
host81-138-64-233.in-addr.btopenworld.com which registers as a dynamic
domain - therefore I see this message from certain hosts