dynamic update transfers to slave servers

Trey Nolen tnolen at internetpro.net
Mon Jun 13 20:02:16 UTC 2005

I am working on implementing a new dynamic DNS service for our company. This
is not tied into DHCP, but rather a service like no-ip, mydns, changeip,
etc.   My dynamic updates work fine on the server, but are not getting
passwed to our slave servers in a timely manner.  I have looked through the
archives and have seen a lot of these issues, but nothing seems to fit
exactly what we are doing.  Many people in the archives have mentioned 5
minutes as being a normal update time for the slaves, and that would be fine
with us.  Right now, it takes hours.

We are using Bind 8.4.6 on Debian systems. Here are the pertinent
configuration options that we are using:
On the master:
options {
        directory "/var/cache/bind";
        maintain-ixfr-base yes;
        use-ixfr yes;
};

server <slave server IP address> {
        support-ixfr yes;
        };

On the master, I do see an ixfr log file, but I never see IXFR transfers in
the logs -- only AXFR.

On the slaves:
options {
        directory "/var/cache/bind";
        maintain-ixfr-base yes;
        use-ixfr yes;
};

zone "<dynamiczone>" {
        type slave;
        file "<dynamiczone>.db";
        masters {
                <master IP address>;
        };
};

Of course, this is only a partial config, but other options have to do with
other zones, forwarders, IPs that it is listening on, etc.   Am I missing
something or is this just completely wrong?  Basically, I am looking to have
these dynamic updates done on the master server and then passed to the slave
servers as quickly as possible.

Thanks for any help.

Trey