Huge reverse-DNS-Trouble

Peter Guhl pgnews at siconline.ch
Thu Jun 9 07:39:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:30:37 -0500, /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> Peter Guhl wrote:
>> We are using bind 8.3.4. The DNS should provide reverse DNS for
>> 217.168.44.63 but after 3 weeks the world still doesn't know about it.
>
> $ host 217.168.44.63
> 63.44.168.217.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mailthree.everynet.ch.
> $ host mailthree.everynet.ch.
> mailthree.everynet.ch has address 217.168.44.63

This is how it should be everywhere.

>  > named.conf has been tested by myself and others and nobody saw an
>  > error. Does somebody have any idea what could have been happened?
>
> Perhaps something wrong in your local resolver settings?

Funnily enough everybody seems to get a different result. Some mailservers
tell us that our mails can't be accepted since the revers-dns isn't
existing.
Therefore I guess the local resolver isn't much involved in that process.

Regards
    Peter

--
Gegen Würmer: http://www.heise.de/security/dienste/antivirus/links.shtml