Priority on an A record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 7 23:42:25 UTC 2005

Nick Allum wrote:

>Is it possible to use DNS to provide some sort of weighting on an A
>record
>I have two devices each with two Ips and I only want it to goto the
>primary unless it fails. Is it possible with an A record to set
>priority...
>
>In concept I would like (don't even think I can use this but just
>asking)
>
>Zone File...
>
>Mainframe IN A  10	10.10.1.98
>	    IN A	10	10.10.1.99
>	    IN A	20	10.10.2.101
> 	    IN A	20	10.10.2.102

Not as such, no.

If you control *all* of the caching resolvers in the environment (e.g.
not an option for an Internet-visible name), they could all be
configured with "rrset-order"s or the non-BIND equivalent(s). You could
probably get away with maintaining rrset-order's on only *some* of the
caching resolvers, if you were willing to accept really low TTLs and/or
occasional "spillage" to the worse-preference A records...

                                             - Kevin