Dynamic update/nsupdate limitations

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jun 7 23:38:24 UTC 2005

> Hello,
>
> We have been using dynamic update on small zones with great success
> (1-10 records).  However,  recently I decided to try the technique on a
> large(ish) zone of ~12,000 records.  If I try to do an update of 13,500
> lines I get the following error:
>
> ----- Output -----
> dns_request_createvia3: ran out of space
> ------------------
>
> Indeed I get the same error until I get to 2,500 lines, at which point
> the update will work.
>
> So, I thought, let's just try doing 6 updates of 2500 lines to update
> the entire zone.  The first four updates are progressed with success but
> the fifth update fails with the same error:
>
> ----- Output -----
> dns_request_createvia3: ran out of space
> ------------------
>
> Anyone know why or how to configure bind or unix to increase this limit?
>
> TIA,
>
> Nick

	Well the DNS protocol as a message size limit of 65535
	octets.  You are hitting this limit.  While there have been
	proposals in the past to raise this by allowing for multiple
	messages to be tied together in a TCP session none have yet
	been approved.

	And no nsupdate should not be breaking up the update.  It
	has no way of knowing if breaking up a atomic change into
	multiple parts is the right thing to do or not.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org