task: address -> name from direct zone

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 2 13:05:04 UTC 2005

In article <d7mknl$1o5q$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Ilya A. Kovalenko" <shadow at oganer.net> wrote:

>       Greetions,
>
>   We collecting some traffic statistics for customers in form:
> (<time>, <remote_IP>, <remote_hostname>, <inbound>, <outbound>).
>
>   The problem is, host name, resolved on reverse zone, often
> differs with name, customer requested to, or address has no
> hostname at all. It is normal, I know.
>   I want to collect customer's A requests (and results) from BIND
> named(8) daemon to supply statistics with exact host names.

Unless someone has actually used your nameserver to look up the name, it
won't be in the cache.  But if you're trying to find out the names of
client machines, it's likely that no one has done this.

>   Do Bind (9.3.0) have facilities, useful for my task ?
> Something like:
>   >> queries & results logging

You can turn on query logging.

>   >> peeking cache
>   >> storing cache to file on demand

"rndc dumpdb" will create a text file containing the cache.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA