Performance of bind

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jun 1 14:34:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 07:49:56PM +0600,
 Muhammad Arshad Ul Abedin <arshad at commlinkllc.com> wrote
 a message of 12 lines which said:

> I am a new user of BIND, and I have a situation in hand where there
> might be tens of thousands of zones in a single BIND server. Has
> there been any performance study of BIND in such cases,

I'm not aware of it. A previous employer of mine ran 200,000 zones
(most of them very short) on one BIND.

> I mean can BIND take such loads gracefully?

If you have such demand, do not rely only on the mailing list. Set up
a test bed, run queryperf and you'll now the truth.