'nsupdate' and not-running 'named'

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 06:16:54 UTC 2005

Well, IIRC, res_nupdate() returns the number of updated zones, but you
might get a -1 return value if the peer is not up, although I'm not
sure.

OTOH, you can use some of the lower level functions - res_nmkupdate()
and then res_nsend(), or even res_sendsigned(). I'm pretty sure
res_nsend() will tell you if it fails to update the nameserver.