Changing NS record

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jul 27 23:16:12 UTC 2005

> We are an ISP and would like to change one of our DNS (NS record). Our regist
> rar is networksolution.
> Do we have only to ask our registrar (networksolution) for the change?
> Do we have to do something else?
> Who feed the root servers for these changes?
> Do we have to call ICANN for this change?
> Do we have to call ARIN?
> Thanks a lot for your help!

	You change the NS RRset in the zone then inform the parent
	of the changes.  Note you should not try to change all the
	NS records at once.

	Depending apon the zone and where it is in the heirarchy you
	will need to take to different people.  Assuming the zone is
	immediately below a infrastucture zone.
	* For a forward zone then you need to talk to the registrar for
	  the zone (in your case networksolutions).
	* For the reverse zone you need to talk to the RIR (in your case
	  ARIN).

	If it is not immediately below a infrastucture zone then you should
	be able to strip the lefthand label and query for the SOA record
	using the resulting name.  This will normally return the parents
	SOA record either in the answer section or in the authority section
	when there is multiple levels in the parent zone.  Note some older
	nameservers may not return the SOA in the later case so you strip
	another label and repeat.

	Once you have the SOA record the second field should have the
	email address of whom to contact at the parent.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org