NS questions.

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Wed Jul 27 17:58:46 UTC 2005

--On 27. juli 2005 19:26 +0200 Okka DNS <dns at okka.org.za> wrote:
> Example.com.
>
>                 NS      ns0.dns.tld.
>                 NS      ns2.dns.tld.
>
>                 MX      5 mx.dns.tld.
>
> mail            A       1.2.3.4
>
> subdomain  A       1.2.3.5
> $ORIGIN subdomain.example.com.
> ;                NS      ns0.dns.tld.
> ;                NS      ns2.dns.tld.
>                  MX      5 mx.subdomain.tld.

Is this supposed to be from a single zonefile? And you want both
example.com and subdomain.example.com to be on the same nameservers? If you
keep it all in the same zone (instead of defining "example.com" as one zone
and "subdomain.example.com" as another zone) you won't need the NS-records
you've commented out.
You should only need to use NS-records in one of these two cases:
1) at the "top-level" of your zone/domain, in this case for "example.com"
or
2) if you want to change the delegation for a sub-zone. You do NOT need to
put in NS-records for each and every subdomain you create (unless you
define them as separate zones with their own zonefile etc.)

Someone will probably come along and tell me that there might be other
corner-cases, but I think this should cover the normal use. I'm not a
networking expert.

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen