Partial zone authority

Greg Chavez greg.chavez at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 15:12:52 UTC 2005

On 7/21/05, Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <dbolmh$2uc4$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  "greg.chavez at gmail.com" <greg.chavez at gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > We have just opened up a private T1 line to a sister organization with
> > a different domain, lemon.gov.  I have been asked to set up a copy of
> > their domain on our internal name servers to resolve one A record -
> > cas.lemon.gov - to an IP which will be accessed over the T1.  Never
> > mind why, they just want it done.  The Internet name servers for
> > lemon.gov do not serve this record - it is entirely internal.  So I
> > have been asked to either replicate the lemon.gov domain internally ,
> > pretend to be authoritative for it, and add the A record for "cas"; or
> > find a way to serve a record for "cas" and forward all other queries to
> > the Internet.
> >
> > It seems to be that the latter is not possible.  You can't be partially
> > authoritative, can you?
>=20
> You can be authoritative for the cas.lemon.gov domain.
>=20
> zone "cas.lemon.gov" {
>   type master;
> };
>=20
> This has no effect on the rest of the lemon.gov domain, which will be
> resolved normally.  This is no different from the fact that you can be
> authoritative for banana.gov without affecting the rest of the gov
> domain.

Ah, good perpsective.  Using a subdomain didn't even occur to me.

Now, cas.lemon.gov is a host, as far as I know.  But that's okay,
because if I get what you're saying, I just add authority for a
cas.lemon.gov zone, then create an A record for "@" in the cas zone
file and that's it?  Groovy, man.  Thanks.

--Greg Chavez