Why do I need a dot at the end of my lookup?

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Jul 22 11:11:05 UTC 2005

Hi Thomas,

on Unix/Linux it is:

/etc/resolv.conf
----------------

        domain Local  domain  name.   Most  queries for names within this domain can use short names
               relative to the local domain.  If no domain entry is present, the  domain  is  deter­
               mined from the local host name returned by gethostname(); the domain part is taken to
               be everything after the first `.'.  Finally, if the host  name  does  not  contain  a
               domain part, the root domain is assumed.

see 'man 5 resolv.conf' for the complete text

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier