Host name common practice

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Jul 19 13:04:31 UTC 2005

mmccaws2" <mmccaws at comcast.net> wrote:

>>>We have multiple AD forests host name problems.  Each forest has it's
>>>independantly created DNS.  So NS1.AD1.here is SOA for AD1.here and
>>>NS2.AD2.here is SOA for AD2.here.  AD1.here one-way trust AD2.here.
>>>Administrator in AD2.here would like to rename server
>>>hostname1.AD2.here but if hostname1.AD1.here is present the OS prevents
>>>this.  The gotcha on this is if hostname1 is a unix box in AD1.here
>>>then it is allowed.
>>>
>>>Why is this happening if domains name servers are independant?
>>>
>>>If duplicant host names are required on the two domains, what option
>>>needs to be set in MS DNS.
>>>
>>>Or is this even a DNS problem but only the symptoms appear as a DNS
>>>problem?
>>>
>>>Thanks for looking at it.

And I replied:

And mmccaws2" <mmccaws at comcast.net> replied:

>let's try this again.
>
>I have hostname1.AD1.here in the AD1.here ad forest.  On the same
>common network behind the firewall we have somename.AD2.here server
>that we are renaming to hostname1.AD2.here.  The name change is being
>done by someone having administrator priveledges in AD2.here.  There is
>no previous registered name in AD2.here as hostname1.  AD2.here forest
>doesn't allow that name, hostname1, it reports it as in use.  So
>AD2.here seems to be saying that hostname1 is in use for AD2.here but
>it hasn't been assigned by anyone.
>
>Mike

It appears that the name change is being denied by Windows.  There
would be no reason for BIND to deny the name change.  There must be
some interaction between your two AD forests.  Maybe WINS has the
single-level name "hostname1" and will not allow another machine with
the same single-level name.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov