A question regarding the db.cache file

Klas Bengtsson klasbengtsson99 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:20:58 UTC 2005

Hi again!

Another question in the same area:

What if I instead of using the db.cache file list my name servers as
forwarders in the named.conf file. That means having my DNS server
configured as a forwarding-only DNS server (recursive mode). Let's say that
I have two DNS servers listed in the forwarders statement in the named.conf
file.

How does this algorithm work? Does it work the same way as when I had my
name servers in the db.cache file? Will named still query booth DNS servers
initially and find out the RTT, and then use the one with the lowest RTT as
primary?

And finally the same question as I asked in my first mail:

"If one server becomes unreachable, then the other one is selected. But what
triggers the coming back into play of the first server (once the fault is
removed)?"

Is the answer the same in this case, that is will the same backup algorithm
be used for the old response time numbers? Or do we at all deal with RTT
values in this case?

BR,
Klas