Zonefile Naming Conventions

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jul 16 01:58:05 UTC 2005

In article <db9b6p$1dp9$1 at sf1.isc.org>, /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk>
wrote:

> Jeff Hardy wrote:
> > I have worked with a number of different Bind configs, and wondered what
> > filenaming conventions people have come up with for zone files, or if
> > there is any kind of standard.  I have never quite settled on one.  I
>
> My preference is the zone name for forward zones and the IP range for
> reverse:
>
> zone "zonename.tld"
> {
>      file "zonename.tld";
> }
>
> zone "42.168.192.in-addr.arpa"
> {
>      file "192.168.42";
> }
>
> On mixed master/slave installs I'm using master and slave
> subdirectories. Sometimes I use subdirectories for other purposes,
> perhaps for different domain owners using the sane server.

I like this style, although I recommend using a common prefix or suffix
to make it easy to select the files with wildcards.  Even if they
normally live in directories that contain no other types of files, it's
not uncommon to copy them to other directories, or make backup files in
the directories these live in while troubleshooting.  So it's useful to
be able to distinguish the files with a naming convention.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA