Some hints on DNS config? [part 2]

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 14 13:17:14 UTC 2005

At 1:33 PM +0100 2005-07-14, Kimi Ostro wrote:

>  It isn't this part of the config I am having problems with, what I am
>  trying to establish is this; *who* (nameservers? resolvers?) needs to
>  know about the caching nameserver(s)?

	You list the IP addresses of the caching nameservers in the
/etc/resolv.conf files for your clients and other servers.

	Even the authoritative master & slave servers are going to have
other processes which will need caching DNS service, so you can
either point their resolvers at the caching nameservers as well, or
you can run additional copies of BIND configured for caching-only
that listens only to the 127.0.0.1 interface, etc....

>  Because at the moment I cannot see how the cache is to be used, if
>  no-one knows about it?

	Everyone will know about them, through the /etc/resolv.conf files.

>  PS: also found http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ quite helpful :)

	I highly recommend the resources at <http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/>.
It is the canonical DNS Resources Directory, after all.  There's
plenty of online documentation linked from
<http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/docs/>.

	Of course, there's also the stuff at <http://www.bind9.net/>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755