Bind as DNS slave to Server 2003 failing with NODATA on zone transfers

Brett Carr brettcarr at ripe.net
Thu Jul 14 08:52:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 jimmc at irobot.com wrote:

> All:
>
> I am running a Windows server 2003 as the master for several domains.
> I am running Bind 9.2.3 under Redhat Linux 8.  I am not able to
> successfully slave a zone that is mastered under Windows Server 2003
> despite explicitly allowing for it.
>
> The error in Bind is "refresh: NODATA response from master" when it
> tries to transfer the zone.  While I suspect the problem is on the
> Windows end I cannot resolve it.

Jim,
   have you confirmed connectivity between the linux and windows boxes? IE
If there is a firewall/router is 53 TCP/UDP open?

What happens if you do 'dig @windowsbox zonename axfr' from the linux box?

Do you have additional windows dns servers and are they transferring the
zone ok?

Is your windows DNS Active Directory Integrated?

Lastly you mentioned the error bind is logging, what about Windows, take a
look in the dns event log and also the text logs that MS DNS can be
persuaded to create are quite often very useful.

--
Brett Carr                              Ripe Network Coordination Centre
System Engineer -- Operations Group     Singel 258 Amsterdam NL