Some hints on DNS config? [part 2]

Kimi Ostro kimimeister at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 02:46:03 UTC 2005

On 7/14/05, Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>=20
> Slaves should be authoritative for the zones they host.
>=20

Okay.

> Master/slave and caching are totally independent.  A server is a master
> or slave for specific zones.  Separately from this, it will recurse when
> queried for names outside these zones (assuming the query has the
> Recursion Desired flag), and cache the results; however, you can use the
> allow-recursion named.conf option to restrict who can request these
> recursive queries.

certainly makes the big picture clearer.

> It's recommended to use separate servers for authoritative and caching
> services.  So you should have a couple of caching-only servers that use
> root.hints and are not master or slave for any of your domains (but it's
> conventional to make them masters for "localhost" and
> "127.in-addr.arpa").  Then you should have a master server for the
> domains you host, and at least one slave server for those zones.
>=20

I think this is the part that bit me the first time and for some
reason cannot get my head around it, specifically configuration of the
authoritative and caching services?
Well I know how to configure each seperately, it is more the
"interaction" between the authoritative and caching services? I cannot
see where the cache slots in and who needs to know what.. Obviously
masters need to know about slaves and vice versa, clients/resolvers
need to know about nameservers.

> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA