modifying bind

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jul 13 21:22:48 UTC 2005

At 8:40 PM +0100 2005-07-13, Mike A wrote:

>  i'll check out the bind-dlz thing thanks,

	No problem.

>  i'm trying to avoid generating all the records because for a /48 IPv6
>  delegation, there is simply too many to generate and so i came up with
>  generating them on the fly. The generating isn't the problem, it was just
>  getting them returned.
>  The $GENERATE function is only useful for 1 part and not the 20 parts i need
>  to generate. Also, the $GENERATE function doesn't support IPv6 IPs.

	For what you're trying to do, forget $GENERATE entirely.  All it
does is make it easier to create configuration files that are loaded
into memory.  Instead of having to have a lot of highly redundant and
duplicative information, you can use $GENERATE instead.  But there's
nothing that $GENERATE does that could not be done with a plain flat
file.

	You want something that avoids loading the data into memory at
all, or at least only loads part of the information into memory.  But
$GENERATE doesn't do that.

	In fact, I think you would be well advised to completely forget
about $GENERATE altogether.  I think you're likely to just confuse
yourself and anyone else that you may talk to regarding this subject.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755