views and zone overlap

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 04:36:56 UTC 2005

I've wanted to mess with zones for quite some time, and being mentioned
in another thread I finally started to look at the documentation. But
I'm wondering about something I didn't see in the BIND 9 ARM, so I
suppose it's not possible ...

... I have [for example] example.net. I want to have local clients given
dynamic DNS assignments in example.net, and I want to have my external
zone serving example.net to the world. The local view, a dynamic zone,
would only have the DHCP clients, internal hosts and aliases. The public
view, a static zone, would have my Internet hosts.

Can the local view fall back on the public one for resolving my Internet
hostnames? It appears that I have to duplicate the public zone data in
the local zone. Am I missing something? Is there an easy workaround to
do this transparently?

It's worse than just having to edit two files. My public SOA is a
different machine than my local SOA. And of course editing a dynamic
zone file is rather ugly in and of itself.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header