Security and Views (was Re: [ot] Re: Dynamic Host DNS Registration)

Jim Logan jllogan at bigfoot.com
Wed Jul 13 04:00:08 UTC 2005

/dev/rob0 wrote:

> "Fedora Core" is a community-based project almost like Debian. Red Hat
> takes that as a basis for their RHEL releases. This happened quite
> some time ago. 2+ years? Google would know.

My Red Hat 6.x box has been running non-stop for several years, until
this past week, when I switched to an old, faster iMac.

> Unfortunately most of the older distros had serious security problems.

My server had IMAPS, SMTP over TLS, and SSH exposed to the Internet and
nobody ever broke in, as far as I can tell.  Was I vulnerable all this
time?  How vulnerable is Mac OS X 10.2?

> For some odd reason, it's not that unusual to hear of someone doing a
> fresh install of RH9, even now. Like anything, it CAN be secured, but
> it's a bad plan IMO to start off with so many problems.

Is Fedora more secure out of the box?

>>> The last building block you may want to look at is views in bind.
>>> That allows me to have two different IP given out for the same name
>>> depending on my physical location.
>>
>> That sounds cool.  I wish I could invent a reason to experiment with
>> that.
>
> You need imagination! If there's a boss you have to convince, tell him
> or her it's a security enhancement. Buzzwords like "security" are very
> effective.

This is just for my home setup.  The last time I administered a system
for work was in the early 90's. :-(

-Jim