A question regarding the db.cache file

Klas Bengtsson klasbengtsson99 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 06:53:30 UTC 2005

Hi!

I am running a BIND 9.3.0 name server and I am using internal root name
servers in the db.cache file (as described in "DNS & BIND" 3 ed. page
390-391).
As I understand it, when BIND first starts up, a very low random RTT value
is given to each DNS server listed in the db.cache file. This ensures that
the name server queries all name servers before choosing the nearest. If
this server, however, becomes unreachable, then another one is selected.

What I would like to know is what triggers the coming back into play of the
first server (once the fault is removed)?

BR,
Klas