using wildcards in place of hostname

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 20:28:47 UTC 2005

steve.anon at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm asking because I'm working on something similar to blogger.com.
> Users sign up and they get their own webpage, with a domain name of
> 'username.blogger.com'.
>
> blogger.com is doing it on the fly (as you sign up, immediately with no
> propagation time). Anyone has any clue on how they do that?

nsupdate(8) with notifies will propagate almost instantly. For best
security and robust performance you would want your SOA master to be the
same as the Web server where users sign up, but it can be
cryptographically secured too. See in your copy of the _BIND_9_ARM_:
Bv9ARM.ch07.html#dynamic_update_security and Bv9ARM.ch04.html#tsig .
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header