cTLD and DNS upgrade

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Jul 8 08:01:23 UTC 2005

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 10:24:04AM +1000,
>>Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote
>>a message of 55 lines which said:
>>

>>>	That doesn't require a configure option.  I just requires a
>>>	little reading.
>>>

>>I know these options and I'm fairly certain that the other
>>participants in that discussion know them too. I may not be able to
>>rewrite BIND from scratch but I can read the ARM.
>>
>>The issue is security: as long as the code is there, in the running
>>instance of BIND, a cracker may find a way to exploit it. If the code
>>is not even there, it cannot be exploited. That's why a run-time
>>option is not a substitute for a compile-time option. That's why
>>authoritative-only name servers like nsd are nice, security-speaking:
>>they have much less code.
>>

> Stephane,
> Think through what you're saying here. You say you want the ability to
> compile BIND with some sort of "authoritative-only" flag. Fine. But
> you're still going to want something to resolve Internet DNS names
> right? After you've built your "authoritative-only" executable, are you
> then going to compile BIND *again* with some sort of "resolver-only"
> flag? So now you have two different executables that you need to manage
> (probably with the same name, which could be very confusing). Now, let's
> say a CERT warning comes out for a vulnerability in one of the common
> routines that is linked into *both* of your executables. Now you have
> two rounds of patching to do instead of just one, and if you happen to
> miss one of those executables on one of those machines, you could be
> open to attack. Twice as many chances to fail, twice as many chances to
> get hacked. How is this better, from a security standpoint, than having
> a single executable in the first place?

Locally you could use /etc/hosts. No need to query any other system.

And you could use that second system who is a resolver.

I have seen many nameservers running bind authoritativly but letting
their resolver lib query other nameservers not their local bind.

> I agree, if you *only* serve authoritative zones, or if that's your
> primary line of business, then it might make sense to have a specialized
> program to do that. But for most of us, BIND is a general-purpose tool,
> something we use more or less equally to *resolve* DNS names as to
> *serve* them to outside clients. When used that way, it makes little
> sense to have different compile-time options for different "flavors" of
> named that you intend to run simultaneously in your infrastructure. That
> just complicates the job of building, installing and maintaining BIND.
>
> - Kevin

Others have already had the idea and have split authoritative and
resolving servers in different programmes that cannot run on the same ip.

Have a look at

http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/dnscomparison/

Brad has done the best nameserver comparison I know of.

Why not use an existing one?

If really somebody hackes Bind as they have done several times in
history they will hack Bind again because everybody uses it.

On your alternative server you can leave doors open. Nobody will
knock when they see 'Dr. Bernstein' at your door. It is cheaper
to hack Bind. There are more of them.

I have seen that same mentality on my system here. Most attacks
go for windows. Seeing it is not windows they go away.

Next attack is for ssh. Starting ssh from inetd they go away
before you can say hello to them

Regards,
Peter and Karin

--