Confused about DNS issue

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 7 20:10:03 UTC 2005

At 7:02 PM +0000 2005-07-07, The Other Mike wrote:

>  Trying to diagnose an email issue to a certain domain.   Doing an
>  NSLOOKUP for the MX record on this particular domain it comes back
>  with a server name (say server.domain.com).

	Keep in mind that "nslookup" is not a good tool for debugging
problems with the DNS.  Try "dig" instead.

>                                                                    Can
>  someone enlighten me as to what might be going on??   Why can I get
>  the reverse lookup but no host resolution using 2 different
>  ISP's...and why does dnsstuff.com get both with no problem??

	I'd be willing to bet that you have alternative name resolution
systems (e.g., NIS) that are interfering with your lookups.  Or, you
may be having problems with reverse DNS.  Either would cause problems
with nslookup, although I wouldn't expect reverse DNS problems to
interfere with ping.

	Try using "dig" instead.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755